Samsung Captivate SGH-i897 Factory data reset
From this menu you can reset your phone and sound settings to
the factory default settings.
1. From the Home screen, touch Settings >Privacy.
2. Touch Factory data reset, enter your password, then select
Yes to confirm.
The phone resets to the factory default settings
automatically and when finished displays the Home
Warning!: Performing a Factory data reset will erase all data from
phone, including your Google account, system and application
data and settings, and downloaded applications. It will not erase
current system software and bundled applications or files on your
SD card such as music or photos.
Samsung Captivate SGH-i897 Android System Recovery
Android System Recovery is used for Google updates but the
average user will never need to perform a system recovery.
Note: If you entered this menu by mistake, use the Volume Up/Down keys to
select reboot system now, then press the Power key. Your phone will
then continue to boot up.
To enter the Android System Recovery mode, follow these steps:
1. With the phone turned off, press the Power key and
Volume Up/Down keys at the same time until the phone
2. Once the AT&T logo appears, release the Power key while
continuing to press the Volume Up/Down keys.
3. Continue to press the Volume Up/Down keys for at least 8
seconds, until Recovery mode is launched and the Android
System Recovery screen is displayed.
4. Release the Volume Up/Down keys.
5. The following options are available:
reboot system now: this option turns on your phone.
reinstall packages: this option allows you to apply updates to your
delete all user data: deletes all data from the phone.
delete cache data: allows you to delete all cache data such as log
6. Use the Volume Up/Down keys to scroll up or down, then
use the Power key to make a selection.